Thursday, October 24, 2019

LET'S TALK HAIR


It is finally time we have a chat about my hair. It could be a long one though so maybe grab yourself a glass of wine while you read this because MAN has my hair been through A LOT. It's all my fault honestly. You know us girls, you finally grow out your hair, then you want to cut it off. You finally get to the blonde you want and then decide your natural hair color looks best. Been there, definitely done THAT!

For today's post, I wanted to really open up about my hair journey and talk about my current hair care routine and wash schedule. YES, my hair has a schedule. If you missed my post about how I schedule my life, I recommend you check it out. No, I don't mention my hair in that post, but I should have because I do indeed have a styling/wash schedule. I have also received so many questions about my hair lately, so let's talk about it!

The first time I ever dyed my hair was when I was 15 years old. If it would have been up to me, I would have had my first head of highlights A LOT sooner, but typical Cuban parents I was not allowed to cut or dye my hair until my 15th birthday. After my 15th birthday, it was GAME ON! I believe I turned 15 and that same weekend I had a scheduled hair apt.  I wasn't obsessed with it, and even now I look back at pictures and I cringe, but why would I stop? I eventually kept adding highlights until I was pretty much almost platinum blonde. I will include some pics so we can cringe together. 

Long story short, I would be blonde for 1-2 years, then back to brunette for another year and back to blonde and the cycle repeated over and over UNTIL I got my hair seriously effed up by a hairdresser. 

About three years ago, I had been brunette for a while and was CRAVING change. I decided to dye my hair blue-black and live my best life. Unfortunately, due to my job, I could not have blue hair, but I was able to keep it for the summer. 

A couple of months after, I decided it would be a good idea to try to go blonde.  A friend from work recommended a hairdresser so I decided to go for it! We did achieve the blonde in the first try, but my hair was falling out in pieces. The hairdresser also made the bottom half of my hair brown and the top blonde. It was NOT a cute look and definitely not what I was going for! At that point, not only did I have to cut my hair at shoulder length, which I was trying to avoid because my hair at the time was a good 18inches, but I had to go back to brunette. 

It has been about 2 years now since that and I've had to continuously cut my hair every 3 months to get rid of all the damage. IT WAS BAD! Thankfully, I am finally at a place with my hair where I have one more good haircut to go.  Other than the haircuts, getting Keratin treatments have helped my hair tremendously. I have had two done so far and I am going back for a third one in December. The keratin has restored and nourished my hair, and it keeps it nice a sleek so minimum heat is applied. I recommend it x's 10000000. 

So what does my styling and washing schedule look like? Well, thanks to the Keratin I only style my hair once to two times a week. Here is an overview of what my "hair schedule" looks like: 

  • Sunday: Wash day and let hair air dry 
  • Monday: Styling day. I either curl it or blow-dry/iron
  • Tuesday: Hair is still looking pretty good, if I curled it on Monday, I will touch up any pieces that need to be re-curled. 
  • Wednesday: Dry Shampoo and texturizing spray! Here are my favorite dry shampoo and my favorite texturing hair spray and this ONE also. I apply dry shampoo and repeat the same step as Tuesday. 
  • Thursday: Dry shampoo & hairstyle! I either do a cute half-up, half-down hairstyle. I also sometimes braid my hair or do a sleek pony. 
  • Friday: HIGH bun day. I love wearing a top knot. So on Friday's I usually do a top knot bun and accessorize it with some cute fun clips. 
  • Saturday: Hair up again, sometimes a ponytail, other days another bun, but this time I make lower or do a middle part bun. 

** Keep in mind that if I have a special event or outing planned, I will go ahead and wash my hair on Friday. I try to ONLY wash my hair once a week though! ** 

This is what works for me! Of course, if your hair is oily, you might need to wash a couple more times a week than me, but try to not over wash your hair. That creates more oil and dry shampoo is a GREAT thing to invest in. 

I also get so many questions on my hair color, and honestly, I don't know what color it is. I have not dyed my hair in almost 2 years. The color that I currently have is just a faded black box dye. The keratin also strips any artificial color in your hair, so I think that is why you see the red tone in my hair. I plan on just letting my natural hair color grow out and then once it's healthy and long enough, I will decide what to do with it. My main focus right now is just growing it out :)

HAIR TBTs: 

2010

2011

2011

2012

2013 when I decided to Ombre my own hair!

2014

2015 BLACK!

2016 Blue Black!

2017

2018 when I cut it all off!

current!

Let me know your hair stories in the comments! I love reading them :)


xx


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© MILLENNIAL COLUMN | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig