Monday, May 20, 2019

EVERYTHING NAILS


TWELVE YEARS!? It's been over twelve years since I have been going to the same nail lady. Seriously, longest most dedicated relationship ever #couplegoals. In all seriousness, I feel like I am at a place with my nails where I can fully, one hundred percent say, I am happy. For the longest time, I would go back and forth between acrylics and regular manis, but it wasn't until the past 3 years-ish that I have really committed to my natural nails and now I cannot even imagine going back to acrylics and I question my choices in the past. I wanted to devote a post to my nails because you guys always ask me questions about the shape, color, etc. so here it goes...

Like I previously mentioned, I had always gone back and forth between acrylics and my natural stubby nails. I was never in love with the shape of my nails. I always thought my nail bed was to short and I felt like it made my fingers look fat. I know, ridiculous. When I started working as a special ed teacher, I realized I needed to definitely be a little bit more conservative, and the long coffin nails had to go (I still secretly love them though, shh). This decision made my nail lady SO happy, seriously, she hated the long nails. 

Since my nails were so used to acrylics, it took a VERY long time to get them healthy again, but like everything in life, consistency is a major key. I started doing gel manicures after my nail tech explained that it was the best option to get longer nails, without the constant breakage situation that I had going on. I went back every two weeks, religiously, and would do a gel mani. Its been three years of being acrylics free and my nails are thriving! I also did take biotin and collagen, which that helped, but most days I would forget to take them. 

Fast forward to the present day, I still get a gel manicure every two weeks. Wednesdays are my mani days, and I so look forward to them. It's my time to relax and unwind. I get a rounded edge but square point shape. I round off the edges a little bit because I find that it makes my gel not lift, but I do like them to also look square. I keep them at a nice medium length. Not too long, not too short. Since my nail bed is more on the shorter side, I like the medium length because it gives me the illusion of a longer nail bed, but still, appear at a nice conservative short length. I only file them down, I do not use nail clippers as I find that they can be a little tough and bend the nails. 

As for color choices go, I am really not that adventurous. This drives my nail tech CRAZY! What can I say, I know what I like and don't usually stray from what I like. I have three colors I alternate, and sometimes if I am feeling a little bold or if my nail tech convinces me, I will try something new, but most likely I have the same three colors on. OPI Funny BunnyOPI Alpine Snow, OPI Be there in Prosecco (the color I am wearing in the pics!). Also, what is up with OPI discontinuing all of my favorite colors? Every time I fall in love with a new shade, it gets discontinued. NOT COOL! I pretty much like nude/beige/pinky/pastel shades. If you guys have any new colors that meet those characteristics, let me know! I would love to try something new. 


I hope this post was helpful. I know its kind of a silly one, but it's a needed one. I hope this motivates you to not give up on your nails if you are struggling to grow them out, or if you are switching from acrylics to regular manis. The transition can be long and annoying, but it's totally doable! 

xx
Share:

1 comment

  1. Try OPI -don’t bossa-nova me and/or OPI -I cannoli wear opi

    ReplyDelete

© MILLENNIAL COLUMN | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig